Bible.org advises that 'the Greek term μαθητής (mathētēs) refers generally to any “student,” “pupil,” “apprentice,” or “adherent,” as opposed to a “teacher.” In the ancient world, however, it is most often associated, with people who were devoted followers of a great religious leader or teacher of philosophy. The type of adherence was determined by the master, ranging from being the follower of a great thinker and master of the past like Socrates, to being the pupil of a philosopher like Pythagoras, to being the devotee of a religious master like Epicurus.'
If the type or nature of 'adherence' is 'determined by the master', perhaps it might be useful to see what the Master actually said about the issue. What did Jesus say about following Him?
There are some obvious quotes that spring to mind:
Matthew 16:23-25 - Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”
Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it."
John 8:28-32 - “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. The one who sent me is with me; He has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases Him.”
Even as he spoke, many believed in Him.
To the Jews who had believed Him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
John 13:35 - "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
Now, here's a thought ...
By coining a term like 'discipleship', do we actually point people in the direction of losing their life for Him, of doing nothing on their own but only speaking what the Father has taught them and doing what pleases Him, of loving one another as He has loved us ...
... or do we just direct them to another theoretical construct?
(... how do you point someone in the direction of losing their life anyway ...?)
In John 3:8 Jesus makes an extraordinary statement that completely phased Nicodemus when He said: "The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
... and later He says:
"But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." (John 14:26)
In the writings of the prophet Jeremiah (31:31-34) we read of an extraordinary promise of God: “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time,” declares the Lord. “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,” declares the Lord. “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”
So the first step toward being a disciple appears to be about losing my life for His sake ... and I'm not sure that I can progress much further unless I am prepared to take that step.
Will I die for Him?
Will I allow His Spirit to take control of my life, to take me where He pleases?
But first I need to be able to hear Him, before I can obey Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment